Sunday, February 17, 2008

Nature

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

Yesterday I had some time to really sit and think about nature and the wonderful beauty that it holds. Nature has always had an effect on me where I just feel more joy and happiness. I can think clearer, and know that everything will work out. There is a quote by Osho that maybe describes this a little.

"Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars... and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful. Everything is simply happy. Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance. Look at the flowers - for no reason. It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are. "

Thinking and reflecting about nature, and other things that happened this weekend, made me recall something that I did for a couple of years with my students. I have a student teacher right now who only has one more week with me. While she has been here I have really been thinking about my experience as a student teacher. One of the experiences that I had was the teacher talking to the students about Ansel Adams. He loved to take pictures of nature (a past time of mine as well) in black and white. Then she had her students take pictures and developed them. I did this for a couple of years and it was one of the things that they truly enjoyed. A while ago I found some of the pictures from my camera that my students had taken (with my help of course) and thought that I would let you all enjoy them as well.



"I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in." ~George Washington Carver

"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." ~John Muir, 1913, in L.M. Wolfe, ed., John Muir, John of the Mountains: The Unpublished Journals of John Muir, 1938

3 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Jewels...I, like you, have been reflecting on being a student teacher because of having one too...

I look back on some of those memories with fondness and longing sometimes. I remember the fun time with my 3rd grade class and how hard it was to leave. I learned a lot from that school.

I plan to do something nice for my student teacher as they did for me when I was at Jordan Ridge.

Wow, so many memories.

Thanks for sharing the great photos. I remember seeing the 2nd grades' pictures in the hallways for many years. Some of them were really great.

Tiffany said...

Those are some great pictures, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Jewels.. thanks for the great pictures and the inspiring thoughts.