
As I was walking my students in from recess, I passed another teacher who said that it looked like goslings were following behind me. I laughed as I realized how true that was. It does look like I am a goose with a line of goslings following behind me. My class was also laughing, and we continued on our way to our class. Before we arrived, I had a student come up and ask me, "What is a gosling?" That also made me laugh, but on the inside, because this student was very serious. I proceeded to explain to the class that a gosling was a baby goose, and we talked about how they walk in line after their mother. The students all finally got it and then laughed again now that they understood what was funny in the first place. This made me realize several different things.
1. Children are so trusting. If adults they look up to think something is funny, then it must be funny. We are always an example, whether it is good or bad.
2. How many times have we joined in with a group but we really didn't know what is going on or get what is going on?
3. It takes courage to admit that you don't know something, and it is ok to ask when you don't know. Learning is always occurring, even if you are not in 2nd grade.
4. Children in a way really are a gosling. The second part of the definition of a gosling is:
A naive or inexperienced young person.
5. 2nd graders do not know what a gosling is...except my class now!

2 comments:
It's true what you said...that they really do look up to the adults in their lives. Whether that example be for the good OR the bad.
You are such a great teacher and a great exmple. I hope those kids realize how lucky they are to have you in their lives.
Post a Comment