Sunday, February 22, 2009

Drama- Week 1

Well, as promised I said that I would write about my drama that has been the biggest reason for my lack of blogging and making my life not such a simple journey. Journey with me now as I recreate my first week in many weeks yet to blog about.

Drama- Week 1:
It was a regular Monday morning as my alarm went off at 5 AM. I woke up, turned off my alarm and got out of bed. That was when I noticed that I couldn't straighten my arm. There was no pain, I just physically could not straighten my arm. I thought this very weird but since there was no pain I assumed I had just slept on it very wrong and soon my arm would straighten. I went to the gym, came home, and got ready for school. At school I thought it strange that I could not straighten it still, but it was great entertainment for my students. I came home and attended home evening, still not able to straighten the arm. After icing it I climbed in bed knowing that tomorrow would be better. As my alarm went off Tuesday morning I knew something was wrong when I still couldn't straighten my arm. I still didn't have any pain, but was very concerned about having no movement. That day after school it was starting to ache and I decided that I needed to go to Insta Care and have them look at it. I drove to Springville where the nearest Insta Care was and managed to take the wrong exit. Once off the correct exit I stumbled upon another road block- literally. The road to the Insta Care was blocked off for construction. After 1 hour of driving around in the dark to find a new route to the Insta Care, I finally gave up and went home. After heating it I went to bed. Wednesday I went to school and still had no movement and more pain. After lunch during math time the pain was so awful that I didn't know if I was going to make it. I went in and got someone to cover my after school class, so as soon as regular school was over I went to another Insta Care in Orem. This one I actually made it to, but by the time I got there I was in so much pain I didn't know what I was going to do. They found that I had a temperature, and were worried about infection, so they took blood and then x-rays.


After looking at the x-rays the doctor was very perplexed. He said that he didn't know what to do, that they might have to do surgery, and that I needed to go to the emergency room. He called ahead and ordered a test where they would take fluid out of my elbow. I went to the emergency room and of course because I wasn't dying (yet..) waited for many, many hours. Did I mention that it was many hours? I got in and the doctor looked at the x-rays and listened to the story of the Insta Care. He said that he saw a fracture- my bone was broken and nothing even happened. He was a little perplexed that I did it in my sleep. He put me in a splint which is a half cast wrapped with ace bandages, a sling and some powerful pain medicine. I asked him about the test the other doctor ordered and he said that he had been doing this for 30 years and knew that it wasn't infected. After getting home sometime early Thursday morning, I knew that I wouldn't be going to school. I hoped the substitute would survive, and with the help and concern of many people, I was able to sleep most of the day. Friday at my school the students weren't coming and the teachers were grading writing assessments. I didn't go in until later that day. Grandma came and helped me get dressed and drove me to school where I could only work for about an hour before the pain was to intense. Then I packed a bag and moved in with Grandma and Grandpa since there were so many things that I couldn't do and I was finding out more things I couldn't do as I was up and not sleeping. Grandma was able to help me shower on Saturday and when we took off the splint my elbow was burning hot and very swollen. We knew that this couldn't be just a fracture and needed to wait until Monday to do anything else.



Well blogger friends, I must leave you in suspense of my broken arm until next time.

6 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

I hope it continues to get better, Jewels. You'd best stop that 'sleep dancing' you've been up to lately!

adamanderinclark said...

You really know how to leave us hanging. I'm on the edge of my seat.

Heather said...

Poor Julebug...hang in there I'm sorry it's been such a dramatic annoying week! I can't wait to hear the rest of it...I hope it's a little better news!

Mindy said...

I hope it isn't as bothersome, so you can type more :) I can't wait...

Tiffany said...

I'm with Mindy... hoping that arm heals so we can hear more! ;)

Lynners said...

Yikes! That sucks! Here's hoping things are going well now!