The kids in my class have recently been asking me for new pencil erasers all the time. I must confess that at times it drives me crazy how many times they need a new eraser. I keep wondering what they are doing with them and how they can use them so fast. Maybe they are eating them? I wouldn't put it past some of them! Well, I pulled out some new packages of erasers the other day, and today found myself giving out many of them. Tonight I came across this quote and it really made me stop to think about how much we really need to use an eraser in our lives."No one is perfect..that’s why pencils have erasers."
The author in unknown, and I remember hearing it before when I was in school. It made me reflect on all of the things in my life that I have done that aren't perfect, yet have taught me so many things and helped me to become a better person. I'm so grateful that we don't have to be perfect today, and that we can use that eraser to help us in building a better life for ourselves.
Thomas J. Watson said that, "The way to succeed is to double your error rate." My kids must really be succeeding because they are definitely doubling their error rate! In all seriousness, I have found myself getting down on myself sometimes because I want to be the perfectionist that is in me and it doesn't work that way. Being a little better every day and trying my best is what I ask of my kids, and what I should ask of myself, not to be perfect right this second. How blessed I am to be learning so many things in my quest for success!
And thankfully.....
"A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway." - Fr. Jerome Cummings

3 comments:
Very good thought. I tend to try to be a perfectionist, too. But sometimes it just slows me down because I get too caught up in the details. Maybe I should just double my error rate...
Your words couldn't have been any truer! There are so many times I've had similar thoughts...
I think of all of my "if only(ies)" in life and how I could/would/should be doing better.
Thank goodness for BIG erasers!
I know how you feel. I think God lets me make so many mistakes so that I don't judge others too quickly!
Post a Comment