
Yumm...can't you just smell the bread baking, and then the wonderful taste as you eat it warm and fresh. Well, I didn't make homemade bread if that is what you are thinking. Usually I think of bread as something wonderful, but on Friday I saw some bread that wasn't so wonderful looking. This past month my students have been learning about Health and Safety. They did an experiment where they labeled two zip lock bags. One said "not washed" and the other said "washed." Then they rubbed their hands all over a piece of bread and put it in the bag that said "not washed." We then went and all washed our hands and didn't touch anything on the way back to class. When we got back they rubbed their hands all over another piece of bread and put it in the "washed" bag. I then stapled them to a wall in my room that has carpet on it and we watched them. All I can say is....PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS!!! It was cool to see bread that was purple, yellow, green, and other colors, but I think I prefer homemade bread instead! I would have included a picture, however in my haste to get the mold off my wall I forgot to take a picture, and when I went back to school yesterday they were buried in the dumpster and I couldn't get it. My kids really enjoyed it and really saw visually what happens when you don't wash your hands.

3 comments:
So did the bread you touched with washed hands still develop mold? Or was it completely moldless? Sounds like a great experiment. Today, Celeste and I made homemade sourdough bread. No yeast was added, just natural yeast from the air. It tasted great as a bread bowl for our broccoli and potato soup. Mmmm.... homemade bread. :)
Jewels,
I saw your little "experiment" last week...it was colorful, but gross as well. It's probably better that you got rid of all those little buggers before they sprouted arms and legs and and tried to take over the classroom...
Matt,
It was actually amazing that the bread that they touched with washed hands didn't grow any mold. I think there may have been 1 piece, but it really does work. Your soup and bread bowl sounds amazing!
Teachinfourth,
I'm glad that they didn't sprout arms and legs, however...if they took over the classroom would that mean that I wouldn't need to be in there? :)
Post a Comment